Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > The Picture Show! > For the Album

For the Album This board is where to post your pictures if you aren't seeking critical feedback. Instead, start a discussion about the subject matter rather than absolute technical quality.

Old 14th April 2012
Animal Portraitist

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Mojave Desert, Part 1

A week ago, I took a trip to to my mom's house for our annual family Passover gathering. She recently moved to Las Vegas, which is a long trip from my home in North Carolina, so I made the most of it by extending my trip to spend a few days camping and photographing in the Mojave National Preserve. The Mojave is a beautifully rugged place, with a wide variety of terrain and far more plant and animal life than one would expect in a desert. The preserve is huge at 1.6 million acres; much of it is designated as wilderness, which means that there are few marked hiking trails, but the area is open to exploration on foot. Roads through the preserve vary from paved to washboard-surface dirt to nearly off-road ones which require an AWD vehicle with high ground clearance. For more information, see http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm.

Recent knee surgery limited my mobility, so most of these photos were taken very near the road. I brought all my camera gear, but the only lens I ended up using was the 12-60 SWD. This speaks to either a) the incredible versatility of this lens, or b) my terrible lack of vision and creativity. In all, I used only four pieces of equipment:

1) E-410 camera
2) 12-60 SWD lens
3) tripod (used for all photos)
4) circular polarizer (for all photos that were not in the early morning or late evening)

I would have added a remote release, by my e-bay special quit working after a couple of hours, so I switched the camera to anti-shock mode instead. The only other kit I wish I had was the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye I've ordered (and the E-M5 to use it on. )

This first set is taken at or near the "Hole-in-the-Wall" campground--a well-maintained, but primitive facility.

1. Joshua Trees at sunrise

2. There were a fair number of cactus, and shrubs were everywhere. This is a 3-exposure HDR processed in Nik HDR Efex to handle the back/side-light at sunrise.

3. Another view of the cactus, no HDR. Those needles are exceptionally sharp (yes, I found out through experience . . .)

4. The Mojave is a mountainous desert, with elevation ranging from 880 to almost 8000 feet. Here is just a little bit a mountain, with contrast adjusted in Nik Viveza 2.

5. Joshua Trees are everywhere, sparse in some areas, much more dense in others. I gave this one a B&W treatment (with copper toning) in Nik Silver Efex Pro2.

6. Along with the mountains, there were many interesting rock formations. Some were part of the mountains, some seemed to occur in random places. Here is one in the background. I don't normally go for the black sky look in B&W images (processed with Silver Efex), but the stark contrast seemed fitting for the desert.

7. Same rocks, closeup. There was quite a bit of wildlife, but it was difficult to photograph because much of it tended to show up at night. Rabbits and Jackrabbits were abundant, but I mostly saw them attempting to cross the road right in front of my car when I drove at night. I saw a couple of Ravens and Kites. There were quite a few small birds (which I couldn't identify), but they didn't stay still long. I saw family of Mule Deer run up a hill one morning, and disappear on the other side before I could get my camera out. And I saw what I think was a Bobcat, which appeared by the side of the road as I was driving one night, and quickly disappeared into the bushes. This is my only "wildlife" photo from the trip . . . can you see it? Otherwise, I don't think the composition is all that spectacular.

8. In the early morning light, it was sometimes difficult to keep my shadow (and the camera/tripod's shadow) out of the photo, so I purposely included it here.

9. After a rather harrowing, unintended adventure on some of the smaller "roads" that almost left me stuck miles from help and kept me out in unfamiliar territory after dark, I came across an extraordinary sunset. By the time I found a place I could stop and see it well, I had missed the peak color by a few minutes. I added a little back in this three-exposure HDR.

Thanks for looking! More to come as I process the rest of my images.

- Hal -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hschnee For This Useful Post:
JackBenedict (15th April 2012), WJW (15th April 2012)
Old 15th April 2012
Not Serious Enough

Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Re: Mojave Desert, Part 1

That's a wonderful spot for pictures Hal and you presented a superb assortment. It took a while before I could determine your "wildlife shot" but I finally spotted it. Looking forward to more in the series, must get out west one of these days...
Old 15th April 2012
Administrator

Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts

What a stunning set. I particularly like 2, 5 and 9. Your copper-toned B&W of the Joshua Tree is exquisite.

John
Old 15th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great collection. It looks like you made the most of your time there.

We passed through in 2009 on our road trip, but didn't manage to capture the lovely sunrise and sunset shots you have done.

Thanks for posting them.

Amanda
Old 16th April 2012
Ageing by the day

Liked 167 Times in 79 Posts

Thanks for sharing these Hal - very nice series.

I like them all.

As regards to the insect - I put my best glasses on and think it might be the red dot on top of the cactus.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 16th April 2012
Animal Portraitist

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Thank you for the high praise, everyone. As for the wildlife in #7, it's in the center vertically, about 1/3 in from the right. Sitting on the corner of a rock is a small bird with a white breast and black/grey head.

- Hal -
Old 16th April 2012
Not Serious Enough

Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
Sitting on the corner of a rock is a small bird with a white breast and black/grey head.
Nailed it......
Old 17th April 2012
Ageing by the day

Liked 167 Times in 79 Posts

Me too.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 20th April 2012
Veteran

Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts

Pic #5 certainly stands out..
#8 reminds me of my shadow problems with the 12mm on the pen (always seem to not notice till much later).
BTW great set of pics..more so with the info/commentry.

Thanks.