Thread: 14-42 lens lock issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

14-42 lens lock issue

I have an epl-1 w/ the kit lens. Bought it 3 weeks ago. I always use the lock switch to activate the lens, but I can activate the lens w/ out using the lock switch. To close the lens I have to push the lock switch forward. Sometimes when I activate the lens using the switch the camera tells me the lens is locked and I have to flip the switch up and the message goes away. This is not a major issue, but I am wondering if this is a normal idiosyncrasy of this lens, or should I return the lens and get a replacement?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: 14-42 lens lock issue

Sounds normal to me. But even if it isn't I wouldn't consider a reason to return the lens. If the pictures come out OK and satisfy you, don't sweat the small stuff.
    Steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
    Its nothing to worry about as the lock is just to fold the lens for storage to make it more compact and take less space in your camera bag or pocket. You could say its a modern version of the old cameras with bellows that used to fold away for storage.
    I don`t know what other M4/3 lenses have the same lock if any.
    Of course there are other lenses from Olympus and Panasonic so if you don`t like the way the Oly 14-42 works there are alternatives.
    Andrew.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're not supposed to use the switch when releasing the lens, only to collapse it.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the replies. it is a case RTFM and it appears the lens works as it is supposed to.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

I do find the lock a bit of a fiddle and prefer (for other reasons as well) the original Panasonic 14-45mm lens, even though it is a little bigger.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John