Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Blogs

Old

Still in Love

Posted 16th November 2009 at 03:45 PM by Robert Watcher

Anne and I have been married for coming up on 34 years. After being away in the big city or sometimes just because I feel like it, I still love to bring home a small bouquet of flowers to bring out Anne's beautiful smile and expressions of appreciation . . .

. . . and I still receive little personal messages as emails and sometimes even "love messages in the sand" from Anne.

When out with a couple of our friends enjoying ourselves around the beach last week...
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Member blogs
Views 3287 Comments 1 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

Even if it is NOON - and the CLOUDS move out

Posted 12th October 2009 at 01:04 PM by Robert Watcher
Updated 12th October 2009 at 02:03 PM by Robert Watcher

Anne and I were heading up to the Bruce Peninsula on Saturday to spend a weekend with our friends. It is beautiful countryside and many opportunities struck my eye as I drove along the 2 hour trek to our destination.

The main reasons that I didn't stop to grab pictures along the way, was because it was around noon when we were traveling - as well as the roads that we were taking are narrow, hilly and difficult to pull off to the side - and our friends were expecting us to be there for...
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1919 Comments 1 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

The power of a print

Posted 23rd September 2009 at 05:04 PM by Robert Watcher

During our 2008 Costa Rica Adventure - while wondering through the streets of Alajuela, I came across a fellow in a wheelchair, working on motorcycles in a small garage in amongst retail stores and homes on a side street. It was evident that he was dealing with customers at that time and so I kept track of the location and checked back a few times to see if I would be able to get a shot of him working.

It never happened. 2 or 3 times I went there and the place was closed.Then one...
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2697 Comments 3 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

A Wet Rodeo - thank goodness for Olympus weather resistance

Posted 23rd September 2009 at 04:53 PM by Robert Watcher

Some of you may have already been exposed to this thread on the forum - but it gets buried quite quickly there and I thought that it would be valuable content to have in the Blog. It is a post that really shows the value of the Olympus weather sealing that is part of the E-3 and several of the lenses in their line up. I really value this as I have destroyed non-Olympus cameras and lenses in the past by working unprotected in situations like this - and ones that were far less extreme.
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2787 Comments 2 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

A little bit like Penn and Teller

Posted 22nd September 2009 at 08:38 PM by Robert Watcher
Updated 22nd September 2009 at 09:26 PM by Robert Watcher

I know that when I post images that show my raw unprocessed "before shots" or "all 1800 images from a wedding" - I am really making myself vulnerable and exposing myself as not being nearly as good photographically as some might presume that I am. The mystique of my images is gone!

In some ways it's a little like Penn and Teller exposing the simplicity and trickery of magic acts - when what has kept people coming back to magic shows for years and years is the presumption...
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Member blogs
Views 3428 Comments 2 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

Something out of Nothing

Posted 21st September 2009 at 08:17 PM by Robert Watcher

I am terrible for making something out of nothing. I know - - - you're not supposed to do it. Your supposed to get it right in the camera.

My problem is that I am a visually spontaneous person who, is "into the moment" and far less concerned with whether I have it technically correct or composed perfectly. Mind you - I want it close, so that I at least have content to work with in the darkroom (I processed all of my own colour and black and white work in my traditional darkroom...
Alternative Viewpoint
Posted in Member blogs
Views 1071 Comments 1 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags
Old

3 easy steps

Posted 21st September 2009 at 07:23 PM by Robert Watcher
Updated 21st September 2009 at 07:31 PM by Ian (Linked blog to relevant categories)

Thought that I'd make my first Blog post using parts of a recent forum thread where I displayed some dramatic images taken recently at a local fair - and was asked how I came to the vibrant colours of one of the images in particular.

This is my final Display Image - which will make a great framed print. The shot was taken with my handlheld Olympus E-3, with 12-60 SWD mounted. Exposure was f3.7 @ 1/80'th second : 250 ISO

Alternative Viewpoint
Views 1075 Comments 1 Robert Watcher is offline Edit Tags